Saturday, July 20, 2013

Blueberry Lemon Tart with Lemon Whipped Cream


With the cooler temperatures that arrived today, I decided to do a little baking.  I wanted to use up some bulk blueberries I got from Marsh.  I had already used most of them to make and freeze blueberry sauce that can be used for pancakes, ice cream, cheesecakes, etc., but I had 4 cups I set aside to bake something.

Lemon is a great combination with blueberries, but I didn't have any lemons on hand.  I did, however, have a jar of lemon curd from Trader Joe's in the cupboard.  That led me to improvise this great tart that we all loved.  

Blueberry Lemon Tart with Lemon Whipped Cream

Pastry for a single crust tart, pre-baked and cooled
4 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon curd (I used Trader Joe's)
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a medium saucepan, bring 1/4 cup water and 1 1/2 cups of the berries to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes.  

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; stir into berries in pan. Add sugar, 1 TBS lemon curd, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring, just until mixture begins to thicken, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat. 

Stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups fresh berries. Immediately pour hot berry mixture into pre-baked tart shell, and smooth with a spatula.  Cool to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate.

Whip heavy cream until it is very thick.  With beater still running, slowly add 1 TBS lemon curd.  Whip until stiff.  Spread lemon cream over tart using an offset spatula.  

Adapted from Blueberry Tart Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment