Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

One of the best things I get to do every month, without my kids, is attend my Ball State Women's Club activities.  I'm a member of their Ladies' Gourmet cooking interest group, which is just so much fun.  Each month, 4-5 of the members take a turn cooking a themed dinner for the rest of the group.  We've had some awesome themes such as South American, Egyptian, Southern Hospitality, and Taste of Barefoot Contessa.

Tonight, our group is having its end of the year bring-a-guest potluck.  Normally, I attend this potluck solo since getting a babysitter on a weeknight is not something we prefer to do.  But this year, my Dad is visiting me from Minnesota for the week, so I am delighted to bring him as my guest.

The theme of this year's potluck is "Take a Page From Your Favorite Cookbook".  I would have to say my favorite cookbook is a binder of my own recipes that I have adjusted and tailored to my tastes.  I rarely use any other cookbook since I get most of my recipe ideas from the internet.  So, tonight I'm bringing a double batch of my Southwestern Quinoa Salad from my binder.  Its one of my favorite dishes.  I love it so much I think I could eat it every day!

Southwestern Quinoa Salad
·      1 cup quinoa
·      2 cups water
·      1 can of no-salt added corn, drained
·      1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
·      4 green onions, sliced
·      2 TBS lemon or lime juice
·      2 TBS cider vinegar
·      4 TBS honey
·      1 tsp salt
·      1 tsp ground mustard powder
·      1 tsp cumin
·      3 TBS chopped cilantro (optional)

Place the quinoa and the water into a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until all water is absorbed (10-15 minutes). When done, the grains will appear translucent. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let cool.

Put the corn, black beans, green onions, and cooked quinoa into a large bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon or lime juice, vinegar, honey, salt, mustard powder, and cumin.  Stir the dressing into the salad.  Mix in the chopped cilantro, if using.

Chopped tomatoes and/or bell peppers can also be put in this salad, if you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment